WELCOME to Elder John-Gregory Sierra's mission blog! For the next two years Elder Sierra will be serving as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the California Sacramento Mission. We hope you will enjoy his experiences, shared through weekly letters. We will post his letters each week and any pictures he may send.

Write Elder Sierra

WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

Missionaries love to get letters (and care packages)! If you'd like to write to Elder Sierra, please use the following addresses:

MISSION OFFICE:
Elder John-Gregory Sierra
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628

EMAIL:
john-gregory.sierra@myldsmail.net


Tuesday, October 15, 2013

 A GREAT REASON TO GET BAPTIZED!

Dear Mama,

Man, these kids are gettin' way too big and too old and new little guys are just coming out of the woodwork. I can't believe how fast time goes by out here and also, how fast things change back home. Tell the Kirklands, the Lindseys, and the De Costas I say congrats and good luck. 
 
Sister Lewis, Mission President's wife, was asking me, once, what dreams I want to achieve when I get home (kind of a trunky question, right? lol) and I told her I just want to finish school and get into the spec ops team that I want to be in. She was stunned and said, "You don't want to be a Father?" I was, like, "Absolutely NOT!! I'm terrified of the thought of being a Dad." Yeah, so my companion and I were invited over to their house for dinner and it was pretty sweet. President commented on that conversation, saying, "Now, now, Elder Sierra has a little while to think about that, however it is a suggestion that you get engaged 6 months after the mission." So, in short, I'm being bombarded on all sides here, haha. 
 
Anyhow, back to the work. Things have been progressing. Our teaching pool is ever increasing and we had the opportunity to take an investigator on a temple tour yesterday. Her name is Linda Reynolds and she is a high-spirited 68-year old lady who truly can recognize the Spirit. After the tour, she was crying, saying that, "I know this has to be true, but I don't want to join for the wrong reasons." I asked her what reason that would be. She responded, "To be with my husband for eternity." My companion and I smiled. "Linda, there is no greater reason than the one you just mentioned." Linda Reynolds has a baptismal date for Nov. 12. Hopefully, I can still be around for it (probably not). 
 
We are very excited about our investigators. We pretty much have many miracles just waiting to happen. Our bishop and ward mission leader sent a letter to our mission president asking him to allow us both to stay in the area (I'm leaving for sure now). I was touched that the ward trusts us and loves the work we do here. They have been very supportive and missionary-minded from Day 1. I really don't want to leave Folsom, but I am pretty sure I will be back in Spanish work next transfer coming up in about 2 weeks. Speaking of Spanish work, we have been teaching 6 Spanish families and have invited each of them to church this coming Sunday. If things work out, then we will have made the first Spanish group here in Folsom and will have opened up Spanish work here for the first time. Needless to say, I am exhausted. 
 
Mom, my only advice from the mission to you this week is that I have learned that, if we continue forward, not thinking about all the work and challenges that must be overcome, the Lord will naturally lift us up and remove them from us. It is when we do not focus so much on our trials that we then become happy, encouraged, and have a continuous desire to serve others. Do not be discouraged. All will be recompensed soon, and more abundantly than you could ever imagine. Continue to Rise up everyone.

Elder Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment