WELCOME to Elder John-Gregory Sierra's mission blog! For the next two years Elder Sierra will be serving as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the California Sacramento Mission. We hope you will enjoy his experiences, shared through weekly letters. We will post his letters each week and any pictures he may send.

Write Elder Sierra

WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

Missionaries love to get letters (and care packages)! If you'd like to write to Elder Sierra, please use the following addresses:

MISSION OFFICE:
Elder John-Gregory Sierra
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628

EMAIL:
john-gregory.sierra@myldsmail.net


Tuesday, April 30, 2013

 2 WEEKS OF STRUGGLES AND MIRACLES

Excerpts from a letter that arrived today in the mail that should have gotten here last week and Elder Sierra's e-mail from this week. Enjoy

4/29/2013

Hey Mom,

I wrote a letter to you, but I guess you haven't gotten it yet. You should soon, but if not send a package to elder Dansie but send it to his entire zone. They are all still there and I finally found my address book and I want them to know that I still love and miss them, for they are all my brothers. Also that shirt is hilarious haha I want one. Anyhow, I'm happy to hear Ana is out and starting her mission. It is incredible so far. If you send me her email I will email her next p=-day.
Work here in Sacramento is going a little slow. Our families aren't keeping up on commitments, we are having problems finding new investigators, and my companion and I have been getting a little discouraged, but our saving grace this week was Ricky. He is really excited about the gospel. He believes that the Book of Mormon is true and is practically a "Dry Mormon". When we discussed with him about the word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity, all he said was, "Alright, as of today, I am abstaining from all of those things. When can I get baptized?" I was about to shoot through the roof. I have never met anyone with such a desire to become closer to God and to follow Christ. He came to church last Sunday and he cried telling me, "I have never felt so much peace in my life before." I can't wait for his baptismal day. He is gonna be getting an interview with President Lewis soon and we are excited for him. The gospel is true and I, along with my companion, will continue to proclaim the Savior's work. I have not lost heart. I know this is where I need to be. 
Mom I love you so much. Thank you for always cheering me on, even when I didn't want it. Dad, thanks for setting me an example perseverance and to work hard. It really has helped. Benjamin,  even when I wasn't always the greatest big brother growing up, you have and still love me, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I gotta get moving soon so I will talk to you all later.  Please send that package to my old zone. My letter should get to you by today. 

Sincerely,
Elder Sierra


 4/22/2013

Dear Mom,

Sorry for not e-mailing you back in time. Hopefully, you'll get this before next p-day. I'm happy to hear about Ana being ready to go out on her mission. Tell her that her cousin in Cali, Sac-Town is proud. She's a tough señorita; I'm sure she will do great. Please send me her address and email; I'd like to root for her while she's there...
As far as life goes over here, well, let me tell you that it has been a struggle, but this week, everything has been picking up and moving forward so fast. The Valdés family has gone to church for about three weeks now and are asking more about when they could be baptized.  I was about to shoot through the roof. I couldn't believe what they were saying. I asked them why they were feeling this way. They just flat out told me, "We just feel that it's right." I was so happy that day. This Saturday, we are going to set up a date with them.

Raúl and his family were progressing very slowly and we felt that they weren't interested anymore, but I told my companion, "Let's go visit them today and found out." we drove to their place, knocked on the door, and lo and behold, his wife, Rafaela, answered the door and said, "Oh my goodness! Elders, you came by at the perfect time! Can you answer some questions about the Book of Mormon? My husband and I have been studying it and there are some scriptures we don't understand very well." My companion's jaw dropped. I just laughed and responded, "Claro que sí!" (Of course!) They are very interested in our church and would like to come our ward with us this Sunday. This week has been full of blessings.

The one investigator that we are really excited about is Ricky. He has been very receptive to our lessons and has an unbelievable desire to change. Our last lesson we had with him was a huge step forward. We taught him about the Plan of Salvation and we taught him the principle of faith. During the lessons, he told us all his concerns. One in particular was that he felt God hated him because he has come across a lot of trials and he has been striving to be a good person. I bore my testimony to him that God loves all His children unconditionally. Then I compared his experiences to when Joseph Smith was in Liberty Jail and was abused, mocked and fed rotten human flesh (is that true, Ralynne?!) He was a prophet of God, he was suffering in a horrifying prison for a several months and he felt forgotten. He cried to the Lord for help and to end his suffering. I read to Ricky what the Lord said to Joseph Smith in D&C 121:7-8. (7. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; 8. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.)
Ricky responded to me in a way that I would never had imagined. Never in my life have I seen such faith. He told me, "I understand. Or, at least I think I do. The Lord has put me through my hard times so that I would listen to your message. Thank you. I don't know if, or actually, I don't have a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true, but I want to so badly belief that this is true." I felt the Spirit fill the room with such power. I challenged Ricky to not just take our word for it and to pray for that surety and knowledge that this is true. He gladly accepted and went on to tell us how he would stop smoking, drinking and that he wanted to take his daughters with him to our church this Sunday. I could go on about Ricky. He is a miracle. I love being out here. The Church is true and the work is real.

I love you all very much. Please get all the folks back home to e-mail or write me. I love you.

Elder "J.G." Sierra

P.S. My current address is:
Elder Sierra
8267 Deseret Ave.
Fair Oaks, CA 95628



No comments:

Post a Comment