WELCOME to Elder John-Gregory Sierra's mission blog! For the next two years Elder Sierra will be serving as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the California Sacramento Mission. We hope you will enjoy his experiences, shared through weekly letters. We will post his letters each week and any pictures he may send.

Write Elder Sierra

WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

Missionaries love to get letters (and care packages)! If you'd like to write to Elder Sierra, please use the following addresses:

MISSION OFFICE:
Elder John-Gregory Sierra
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628

EMAIL:
john-gregory.sierra@myldsmail.net


Monday, March 10, 2014

SWEET IS THE WORK!
 Letter from 2/24/2014

Hey Mom, 

Sorry all your plans were thrown for a loop. Ours were, too, sort of, but we did have an amazing miracle. Last Saturday, I was able to witness the baptism of Nick Nelson (one of my investigators from Folsom) and it was the best one I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. Nick had been investigating the church for almost 4 years. His wife was baptized 3 years ago. He has three beautiful children: a 6 year old girl, a 4 year old boy, and another boy that is about to turn 2 years old. They are all so sweet. Their family is so blessed. I remember talking to him about the gospel and trying to get down to why he was holding himself back. He came to church every week, participated in all the activities, and loved everything about the doctrine. He just had some pride to swallow as far as the restoration of the priesthood. I explained and testified countless times about the purpose of that divine authority. In the end, I left him saying, "You know what Nick, I am not worried about you. You will make the decision to get baptized and it will have nothing to do with me or anyone else. You will want to do it because you will come to realize that it all makes sense. You will come to realize that it is all true. You're going to want this for yourself. You're going to want to have this forever. You're going to want to be with your family for all of eternity. So, know that I am not worried. Your foot is already across the line. You just gotta take a leap of faith and jump." A few months later, I recieved a call from him. He asked me if I would sing 'Nearer My God to Thee' for his baptism. Of course I couldn't refuse, but I had to ask what changed his mind. He told me, "It all makes sense. It's true, and I want it with my family forever." I believe that everyone in the world at one point or another, in this life or the next, will come to a crossroads on their own road of forging their destiny, to decide whether they will accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their life or not. It may take longer for some than it will for others, but I know that God is our Father in Heaven and that He will do everything within His power (without denying us our ability to choose freely) to help us return to Him. I know that this is the true kingdom of God that has been restored on the Earth once more. I know I felt the Spirit so strongly at that baptism. I saw the completion of a family in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and they are on the road to eternal happiness. I had the honor to sit next to my Mission President in this baptism during the ordinance (REALLY COOL, RIGHT!!!) and he whispered to me,  "You see that, son. This is our work. We play a small role in this and you helped make this happen. Now go out there and harvest. I love you my son." I almost broke down. Kinda reminded me of Helaman when he referred to his soldiers as sons, not because they were all young, but because he loved them. My Mission President and I have not [always agreed on everything], but I love him and he has always loved me. I love being a missionary. It's sad that I now have only a year of service and now the clock is counting down. I will be home sooner than you think, everyone. I love you all and I pray for you all.

Elder Sierra
 

No comments:

Post a Comment